Hasim Rahman Jr responds to Jake Paul after the fight was called off over a weight dispute

Hasim Rahman Jr responds to Jake Paul after the fight was called off over a weight dispute

Hasim Rahman Jr blamed Jake Paul for their now canceled bout after a weight dispute, claiming he doesn’t want to fight a real boxer.

YouTube star Paul is 5-0 as a professional boxer and was expected to face Rahman Jr, son of former heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman, on August 6 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Paul accused Rahman Jr of being unprofessional after attempting to change the contract weight on multiple occasions.

But Rahman replied, blaming Paul: “Jake and his ‘team’ canceled this fight, not me! The fight is not happening on their own initiative, not on MY! I am a bridgerweight, otherwise known as a heavyweight outside of the WBC, I signed the contract to gain 200lbs in the three weeks, but my body didn’t let me do that.

“Where in boxing do you see them cancel fights a week early? There are penalties, I will fight you for the minimum of $ 5,000. I would hit him with one hand, just like I did in the gym. He said he beat my ass at 230, so what’s the matter fighting me at 215 or 210, clearly it’s they who don’t want to fight, it’s they who don’t want to fight.

“I never said I didn’t want this fight. I conclude that they are afraid, they tried to drain me. I told them I couldn’t go all the way to cruiserweight, it’s an astronomical feat, I would have to lose a pound a day in 30 days to gain 200lbs.

“Anyway, if I didn’t weigh in, we had a replacement on the side, the Muslim boxer, Muhsin Cason, campaigns for cruise weights, he didn’t need to dry up, he could have saved the show. But he doesn’t want to fight a real fight, a real boxer, he wanted to drain me and fight my shell. I won’t let him do that. “

A statement released by Paul’s 25-year-old company Most Valuable Promotions read: “On July 5th, Hasim Rahman Jr signed a deal to fight Jake Paul on August 6th at Madison Square Garden with a maximum weight of 200 pounds. Upon signing, Rahman provided evidence of his weight to comfort Most Valuable Promotions and the New York State Athletic Commission that he would lose no more than 10% of his weight in the four weeks leading up to the bout.

“Since he weighed 216 pounds on July 7, Rahman and his camp offered assurances after publicly and privately assuring that he was on track to gain weight by weight on August 5, going so far as to provide a letter signed by a nutritionist acknowledged that her weight reduction was progressing smoothly according to the weekly weight checks required by the New York State Athletics Commission. In the last 48 hours it has become clear that these assurances were not made in good faith. “

The statement continues: “Friday [29 July], Rahman submitted a weight check to the New York State Athletics Commission which proved he has lost less than a pound since he originally signed up to fight 24 days earlier. This prompted the commission to declare it would not sanction the fight for less than £ 205. However, Jake Paul was ready to move forward with the fight with this new weight and a new contract was sent to Rahman’s promoter that reflected a limit of 205 pounds, imposing severe penalties if he failed to gain weight. After receiving this new contract on Saturday morning, Rahman camp first indicated that he intended to weigh 215 pounds at the official weight and would not agree to weigh at 205 pounds and informed the most valuable promotions they are withdrawing from. wrestling unless wrestling was agreed at 215 lbs.

Paul after knocking out former UFC champion Tyron Woodley (AFP via Getty Images)

Paul after knocking out former UFC champion Tyron Woodley (AFP via Getty Images)

“The MVP and Jake Paul are not going to reward someone for being so deceitful and calculating. Therefore, MVP has no choice but to cancel the August 6th event. This forced result impacts Jake Paul, Amanda Serrano, and every other fighter on this card who have been training tirelessly for the past few months for this event. The boxing community must hold Hasim Rahman Jr. responsible for his lack of professionalism. There has been endless work, time and money spent building this event and we want to thank our team, Showtime, Madison Square Garden, Holden Boxing and all of our partners for their continued support. Above all, we want to thank our fans for their commitment to athletes and the sport of boxing. “

Unified female featherweight champion Amanda Serrano was to compete on paper, with Paul being the main title against Rahman Jr, who stepped in after Tommy Fury’s retirement this month.

Fury, half-brother of WBC heavyweight champion Tyson, was originally supposed to face Paul in December but withdrew from the scheduled contest citing injuries and illness. The fight was rearranged for August 6, but the Brit retired again, this time due to travel problems that would have prevented 23-year-old Fury from entering the United States.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.