Archie Battersbee’s life support will be withdrawn on Saturday morning

Archie Battersbee’s life support will be withdrawn on Saturday morning

Archie Battersbee’s family was told that his life support would be withdrawn Saturday morning after their legal struggle to move him from hospital to hospice ended.

A final desperate request to the European Court of Human Rights to intervene in the case was rejected late Friday, following a High Court ruling that he had to stay at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London.

His parents had fought a long legal battle over the suspension of treatment and in recent days they have made offers to the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the European Court of Human Rights to transfer him to death in a hospice.

Paul Battersbee and Hollie Dance fought a long legal battle over treatment withdrawal (Jonathan Brady / PA)

Paul Battersbee and Hollie Dance fought a long legal battle over treatment withdrawal (Jonathan Brady / PA)

The 12-year-old has been in a coma since he was found unconscious by his mother in April and is kept alive by a combination of medical interventions, including ventilation and drug treatments.

His family has been told that treatment will be suspended at 10 on Saturday.

A spokesman for the electoral group Christian Concern, which supports Archie’s family, told the PA news agency: “All legal avenues have been exhausted.

“The family is devastated and is spending precious time with Archie.”

Barts Health NHS Trust did not immediately update its statement, instead referring to its previous position that no changes will be made to Archie’s care “until the outstanding legal issues are resolved.”

The court case of Archie Battersbee

Archie Battersbee has been in hospital since April (Family / PA)

In a High Court ruling on Friday morning, Ms. Justice Theis concluded that it was not in Archie’s interest to be transferred to a hospice and the Court of Appeals rejected permission to challenge that decision.

Christian Concern said the family wanted to appeal the High Court ruling claiming that there had been a violation of articles six and eight of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Article six is ​​the right to a fair trial and Article eight is the right to respect for private and family life.

But a spokesman for the European court said he had received a request from Archie’s parents’ representatives under Article 39 allowing him to apply “interim measures” in “exceptional” cases and that the complaints “fall out of scope”. of this rule and therefore would not intervene.

The court case of Archie Battersbee

Archie’s life support is expected to be picked up on Saturday morning (Family / PA)

The judges of the Court of Appeal said that Ms. Justice Theis’ ruling in the High Court addressed “fully each of the points raised on behalf of the parents”.

The judges said they had “come to the clear conclusion that each of your decisions was right for the reasons you put forward”.

They added: “It follows that the proposed appeal has no prospect of success and there are no other compelling reasons for the Court of Appeal to hear an appeal.”

The judges of the Court of Appeal also said that one of the arguments presented by Archie’s parents was “legally flawed”, adding: “It is also not easy to understand as it tries to argue that Archie’s best interests have ceased. to be relevant “.

Doctors who have treated the schoolboy for the past four months have stated that Archie was “dead in the brain stem,” causing a lengthy but ultimately failed legal battle by his family to continue life-support treatment in hopes that he will recover.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.