Fake school shooting calls being reported across South Carolina; no confirmed shootings

(We will continue to update this story as we learn more) Fake calls about shootings at schools across South Carolina have prompted school lockdowns and heavy police response at several schools.(Video above: Coverage from WYFF News 4 at Noon on the fake calls) No shootings have been confirmed, and we are continuing to look into these reports. We are in touch with law enforcement, who are investigating the calls. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster spoke about the fake calls while in Greenville County on Wednesday. “There’s no excuse for that kind of conduct. People try to get the children educated and live their lives and have successful days and to have something like this thrown into it is unnecessary and just ridiculous,” McMaster said. “And it’s a crime.”Local school districts respond: Greenville police say there is no shooting at Greenville High School. The school district sent the following statement:”This morning, Greenville Police received an anonymous tip that there may have been an active threat at Greenville High School. Police responded and quickly determined that the tip was fake. It is relevant to share that school districts across the state have been the object of similar prank calls. While today’s threat was a hoax, Greenville County Schools takes any and all reports of this nature seriously and responds to the full degree. We would like to thank the Greenville Police Department for its immediate and thorough response. As purely a precautionary measure, we will have additional law enforcement and district personnel on campus for the rest of the day.”Anderson County School District says there is no shooting at Robert Anderson Middle. Anderson County District 5 spokesman Kyle Newton said a call was placed to law enforcement claiming there was an active shooter at the school. He said there was no shooting. Law enforcement did respond and we are told parents have shown up at the school. Anderson County Sheriff’s Office statement: “The Anderson County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call around 10:45 this morning in regard to an active shooter at Robert Anderson Middle School. Anderson County responded to Robert Anderson and found that this report is NOT TRUE and there was NOT an active shooter at Robert Anderson. There have been multiple reports of similar calls at schools all over the state today. There’s an active investigation to determine the origin of the coals.Anytime there is a perceived threat at any of our schools, we will respond as if our own children are there.” Greenwood High: School shooting report is false. School is not even in session today. School is being searched as a precaution. Laurens County: School district sent the following statement: “On 10/05/2022 there was an unsubstantiated threat called in to an administrative line at the Laurens Police Department stating that there was an active shooter at the Laurens High school. Officers responded to the High school and quickly determined that there was no active threat. Out of an abundance of caution Laurens Police checked all the schools inside the city limits as well as sent #LPD officers to the high school to assist the Sheriff’s Office in securing that location. , there is no viable threat to any district 55 or 56 schools and officers are now investigating the source of the original called-in threat as it now appears that similar calls were made across South Carolina.”Other reports across the state: Richland County: Administrators from the Richland 2 School District released a statement on the incident,“This morning law enforcement responded to a call from an unknown caller that shots had been fired on the Blythewood High School campus. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department responded immediately. The school was placed on lockdown while law enforcement searched the building. RCSD has determined the call was one of three hoax calls made to South Carolina schools this morning. There is no evidence of any gunfire or injuries at the school.”Charleston:In Charleston, Burke High School had a heavy police presence Wednesday morning. Inspector Michael Gillooly with the Charleston Police Department told WCBD that just before 10 am that was a heavy police presence at Burke High after a call was received at another location within the city regarding the school. That call was reported to Charleston County Consolidated Dispatch. He noted the department believed the call to be a hoax. “Numerous officers are on scene and the school is locked down pursuant to normal procedure,” he said. The Charleston Police Department later provided an update just after 10 am saying the call was confirmed to be a hoax. They said there were no injured parties and that officers were clearing the scene.Horry County: In Horry County, a hoax call about a shooting was reported at about 9:30 am, according to WMBF.Horry County Schools released the following statement:“ We have fallen victim to what is believed to be swatting (making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of first responders) calls regarding incidents at various schools, which include Myrtle Beach High, Myrtle Beach Middle, and Conway High, to date. Police are currently on the campuses of these schools, and I can assure you that all students and staff are safe. Police will remain on campus and continue to investigate the situation.It appears the swatting prank is happening throughout other school districts in our state including Charleston and Beaufort.”Beaufort: In Beaufort, South Carolina, the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, Beaufort City Police Department , and other first responders are on scene at Beaufort High School for a report of shots fired.The call came in at approximately 9:30 am Emergency services are actively clearing the school. At this time, no victims have been located.

(We will continue to update this story as we learn more)

Fake calls about shootings at schools across South Carolina have prompted school lockdowns and heavy police response at several schools.

(Video above: Coverage from WYFF News 4 at Noon on the fake calls)

No. shootings have been confirmed, and we are continuing to look into these reports.

We are in touch with law enforcement, who are investigating the calls.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster spoke about the fake calls while in Greenville County on Wednesday.

“There’s no excuse for that kind of conduct. People try to get the children educated and live their lives and have successful days and to have something like this thrown into it is unnecessary and just ridiculous,” McMaster said. “And it’s a crime.”

Local school districts respond:

  • Greenville police say there is no shooting at Greenville High School.
    • The school district sent the following statement:
      • “This morning, Greenville Police received an anonymous tip that there may have been an active threat at Greenville High School. Police responded and quickly determined that the tip was fake. It is relevant to share that school districts across the state have been the object of Similar prank calls. While today’s threat was a hoax, Greenville County Schools takes any and all reports of this nature seriously and responds to the full degree. We would like to thank the Greenville Police Department for its immediate and thorough response. As purely a precautionary measure, we will have additional law enforcement and district personnel on campus for the rest of the day.”
  • Anderson County School District says there is no shooting at Robert Anderson Middle. Anderson County District 5 spokesman Kyle Newton said a call was placed to law enforcement claiming there was an active shooter at the school. He said there was no shooting. Law enforcement did respond and we are told parents have shown up at the school.
    • Anderson County Sheriff’s Office statement:
      • The Anderson County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call around 10:45 this morning in regard to an active shooter at Robert Anderson Middle School. Anderson County responded to Robert Anderson and found that this report is NOT TRUE and there was NOT an active shooter at Robert Anderson. There have been multiple reports of similar calls at schools all over the state today. There’s an active investigation to determine the origin of the coals.
        Anytime there is a perceived threat at any of our schools, we will respond as if our own children are there.”

WYFF

Parents gather outside Robert Anderson Middle after fake call about shooting was reported.
  • Greenwood High: School shooting report is false. School is not even in session today. School is being searched as a precaution.
  • Laurens County:
    • School district sent the following statement:
      • “On 10/05/2022 there was an unsubstantiated threat called in to an administrative line at the Laurens Police Department stating that there was an active shooter at the Laurens High school. Officers responded to the high school and quickly determined that there was no active threat. Out of an abundance of caution Laurens Police checked all the schools inside the city limits as well as sent #LPD officers to the high school to assist the Sheriff’s Office in securing that location. Currently, there is no viable threat to any district 55 or 56 schools and officers are now investigating the source of the original called-in threat as it now appears that similar calls were made across South Carolina.”

Other reports across the state:

Richland County:

Administrators from the Richland 2 School District released a statement on the incident,

“This morning law enforcement responded to a call from an unknown caller that shots had been fired on the Blythewood High School campus. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department responded immediately. The school was placed on lockdown while law enforcement searched the building. RCSD has determined the call was one of three hoax calls made to South Carolina schools this morning. There is no evidence of any gunfire or injuries at the school.”

Charleston:

In Charleston, Burke High School had a heavy police presence Wednesday morning.

Inspector Michael Gillooly with the Charleston Police Department told WCBD that just before 10 am that was a heavy police presence at Burke High after a call was received at another location within the city regarding the school. That call was reported to Charleston County Consolidated Dispatch.

He noted the department believed the call to be a hoax. “Numerous officers are on scene and the school is locked down pursuant to normal procedure,” he said.

The Charleston Police Department later provided an update just after 10 am saying the call was confirmed to be a hoax. They said there were no injured parties and that officers were clearing the scene.

Horry County:

In Horry County, a hoax call about a shooting was reported at about 9:30 am, according to WMBF.

Horry County Schools released the following statement:

“We have fallen victim to what is believed to be swatting (making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of first responders) calls regarding incidents at various schools, which include Myrtle Beach High, Myrtle Beach Middle, and Conway High, to date. Police are currently on the campuses of these schools, and I can assure you that all students and staff are safe. Police will remain on campus and continue to investigate the situation.

It appears the swatting prank is happening throughout other school districts in our state including Charleston and Beaufort.”

Beaufort:

In Beaufort, South Carolina, the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, Beaufort City Police Department, and other first responders are on scene at Beaufort High School for a report of shots fired.

The call came in at approximately 9:30 am

Emergency services are actively clearing the school. At this time, no victims have been located.

#Fake #school #shooting #calls #reported #South #Carolina #confirmed #shootings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *